Saturday, August 15, 2009

I Had My First Visit to the Emergency Vet Last Weekend


Last Saturday my parents went to the gym - I'm not sure why my mommy goes when she runs with me twice a day - and when they were gone, I did something very mischievous which led to a trip to the emergency veterinary hospital.

My parents always give me a Kong filled with kibble and treats before they leave so I won't be bored, but last Saturday night I discovered that daddy did something naughty and I got the blame. He not only left the pantry door open, but he forgot to put the lid back on my food container. So what's a dog to do?

After I finished rolling my Kong around, I headed towards the pantry and well....I jumped up onto the food container, stuck my head in the opening, and ate and ate and ate until I couldn't eat anymore. I was very careful not to knock the container over so mommy and daddy wouldn't find out, but unfortunately my big belly gave it away.

I was so full that I had to poo, and even though I've never gone in the house before, I had no choice. At least I was considerate enough to go on the tile floor where it would be easy to clean up.

When my parents got home my dad said something disparaging. "Hi fat boy!" I was a bit insulted but I guess the cat was out of the bag - he could see my bloat. Mommy yelled at daddy for being mean to me because she never even noticed how bloated I was. But moments later when she took a few steps, she saw the poo and knew something was wrong.

Daddy thought I might have been spiteful but I have never been spiteful. I'm a good boy; well, most of the time. But mommy noticed that I was acting funny and she started to get worried. She saw that I was swelling up like a balloon so she started researching bloat on the Internet. She knew it was dangerous and dogs could die, but she wasn't sure if I had the dangerous kind or not. So daddy called the emergency hospital and they said to bring me in to play it safe.

So my parents ran around the house getting ready for our road trip. Oh I love road trips! They're my favorite...next to eating to my heart's content.

Stay tuned for Part II of my emergency vet hospital saga.

3 comments:

  1. Way to blame daddy Euri Bear! That's OK, I still love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Euri you are tricky my boy! You should meet my little girl Sadie. (Jack Russell Terror!) You and she could get into lots of trouble together.

    ReplyDelete

Woof! If you're not registered, be sure to leave your e-mail address so Euri can write you back.